At the Banyan Tree all meals are made fresh to order, so it is possible to adjust a meal to your requirements, and if you have a favourite meal that is not on the menu, it can be made especially for you. Our chef has lifetime experience of Indian cuisine.
If you require allergen information before you place your order, please ask a member of staff
POPADOMS AND PICKLES
2. MASSALA POPADOMS (spicy)55p
3. ASSORTED PICKLE TRAY£2.00
Mango chutney, mint yoghurt, onion salad, & chilli sauce.
Mango chutney, hot mixed pickles, onion salad, mint sauce, sweet chilli sauce.
5. ONION & CUCUMBER RAITA£2.00
Served with Salad, Mint and Chilli sauces. (Except, Prawn Cocktail and Garlic Mushrooms)
6. SEEKH KEBAB£3.10
Minced lamb mixed with fresh green herbs and spices. Cooked on skewers in the tandoori clay oven.
7. SHAMI KEBAB£3.10
Minced lamb blended with green spices and herbs then grilled in pan.
8. CHICKEN OR LAMB TIKKA£3.30
Off the bone tender pieces of chicken or lamb marinated in herbs, spices, tamarind and yoghurt, then grilled in a clay oven.
9. PRAWN COCKTAIL£2.60
Prawns in a cocktail sauce, served with salad
10. VEGETABLE OR LAMB SAMOSA£2.75
Pastry triangles with spices, fresh coriander and either minced meat or vegetable filling, deep-fried.
11. BANYAN TREE MIX£5.15
Lamb cutlet, Chicken Tikka, Lamb Tikka and Seekh Kebab served with salad and mint sauce.
12. KING PRAWN SIZZLER£5.30
Juicy king prawns cooked with onions and peppers in a sauce specially prepared by our chef.
13. KING PRAWN BUTTERFLY£4.80
Tender king prawns in spicy butter, bound together with egg, coated in golden breadcrumbs and fried crisp.
14. MIXED KEBAB£3.80
Chicken Tikka, Lamb Tikka and onion bhaji.
15. ALOO PAKORA£2.55
Potato, Spinach, and spices deep-fried in golden breadcrumbs.
16. KING PRAWN PAKORA£4.70
King prawns wrapped in fresh spinach and golden breadcrumbs then deep-fried.
17. CHICKEN PAKORA£2.80
Tender pieces of chicken breast, dipped in lightly spiced batter then fried until crisp.
18. CHICKEN SAAG PAKORA£2.80
Lightly spiced chicken tikka wrapped in spinach bound together with egg, coated with breadcrumbs and deep-fried.
19. ONION BHAJI£2.55
Chopped onions, gram flour and mixed spices, deep-fried.
20. GARLIC MUSHROOMS£2.55
Sliced mushrooms gently spiced and cooked Indian style, Garnished with coriander and sliced lemon.
21. LAMB CUTLETS (3 pieces)£3.80
Served on the bone, marinated and cooked in the clay oven, served with salad.
22. TANDOORI CHICKEN (Quarter)£3.80
Served on the bone, marinated and cooked in the clay oven, served with salad and mint sauce.
23. SEEKH KEBAB WRAP£3.50
Seekh kebab wrapped in chapatti, served with salad and sauce.
All Purees can be made as a Main Dish with 3 purees or a Plain Nan or Pilau Rice.
Your choice of ingredients from the list below, stir-fried with finely chopped onions and tomatoes in medium spices. (Served on deep fried Indian flat bread).
24. PRAWN PUREESingle: £3.30. Main: £9.05
25. KING PRAWN PUREESingle: £4.80. Main: £10.00
26. CHICKEN CHAAT PUREESingle; £3.30. Main: £9.05
27. HOT LAMB PUREESingle: £3.30. Main: £9.05
Tandoori dishes are marinated overnight in a tandoori sauce (consisting of yoghurt, garlic, ginger and spices) then cooked in a clay oven. All tandoori dishes are served with salad and mint sauce.
28. Two pieces on the bone.£6.50
29. Four pieces on the bone.11.95
30. CHICKEN TIKKA (off the bone)£8.40
31. LAMB TIKKA (off the bone)£8.40
32. TANDOORI MIXED GRILL SPECIAL£11.25
Tandoori chicken, chicken tikka, seekh kebab and lamb cutlets
33. CHICKEN TIKKA NAN KEBAB£8.40
Small pieces of chicken tikka cooked with onion and kashmiri paste, served on a nan bread with salad and sauce.
34. TANDOORI KING PRAWN SPECIAL£12.00
King Prawns Marinated in a mild sauce and grilled in the tandoori oven.
35. CHICKEN OR LAMB SHASHLIK£9.85
Tender pieces of diced chicken or lamb marinated with spices, cooked in the tandoori oven on skewers together with tomatoes, cubed onions and fresh green peppers.
36. KORMA: (MILD)
A delicate preparation of coconut, ground almonds and fresh cream go into this dish to create a very mild, but rich, creamy sauce.
37. DOPIAZA: (MEDIUM)
Cooked with cubed onions, green peppers and our own special pickles.
38. ROGAN JOSH: (MEDIUM)
A north Indian recipe, with a combination of herbs, spices, garlic, ginger, tomato, coriander and butter, giving a thick sauce. Garnished with fresh tomatoes and coriander.
39. BHUNA: (MEDIUM)
A popular dish from the Indian sub-continent of Madras consisting of onions, capsicums, tomatoes, spices and herbs, creating a unique spicy taste, in a thick sauce.
40. MADRAS: (FAIRLY HOT)
Originating in the southern city of Madras and consisting of a special selection of spices and herbs.
41. PATHIA: (HOT
A Hyderabad recipe, popular in the Indian sub-continent, garnished with a mixture of spices, shredded onions, tomatoes, fresh herbs with a touch of coconut and lemon juice giving a hot sweet and sour taste.
42. DANSAK: (HOT)
A Persian dish with a combination of Indian spices, lentils, pineapple, lemon juice and herbs, producing a hot sweet and sour taste
43. VINDALOO: (VERY HOT)
Related to Madras but involving a greater use of garlic and lemon. It owes its name, and in part its contents to the early Portuguese settlers.
Choose your dish from the above:
Chicken or Lamb Tikka£7.85
BALTI DISHES (HOT)
Originating from the Punjab (Northern India). Cooked using fresh cubed onions, green peppers and tomatoes, garlic, cumin & fresh coriander with our usual traditional balti herbs & spices. The following prices include Pilau Rice and Nan Bread
44. CHICKEN OR LAMB BALTI£11.20
45. GARLIC CHILLI CHICKEN£11.20
46. TANDOORI KING PRAWN BALTI (with spinach)£13.25
47. BANYAN TREE SPECIAL BALTI£12.20
48. VEGETABLE BALTI£8.90
All chefs’ specialites can be made as:
Paneer (Indian cheese)£5.85
King Prawn Option£10.55
49. CHICKEN OR LAMB TIKKA MASSALA£8.10
(MILD) Succulent pieces of chicken or lamb tikka or tandoori chicken (on the bone), cooked with minced lamb in a creamy sauce with almonds and coconut, creating a wonderful combination of flavours.
50. CHICKEN OR LAMB PASSANDA£7.80
(MILD) Juicy pieces of marinated chicken or lamb cooked in purified Indian butter, ground almonds and mild spices with a dash of cream.
51. CHICKEN MAKHANI£8.40
(MILD) Juicy pieces of marinated chicken with ginger and garlic, grilled, then gently cooked with cream and a blend of Indian cheese.
52. CHICKEN MISHTI£8.80
(MILD) Chicken marinated in our chef’s special sauce with cashew nuts, cooked with cream, coconut and almond.
53. SPECIAL MALAYA CHICKEN OR LAMB£8.55
(MILD) Cooked in a mild creamy sauce with bananas and ‘pineapple.
54. TANDOORI BUTTER CHICKEN£8.55
(MILD) Tandoori chicken pieces cooked in a creamy butter sauce, made with almonds and plum tomatoes.
55. SPECIAL CHICKEN OR LAMB TIKKA AMLA£8.55
(MILD) Cooked with mild spices and mango purée.
56. CHICKEN DARJEELING£8.95
(MILD) A traditional recipe consisting of onions garnished with pure butter ghee and ten different spices, fresh cream and almond powder producing a sweet flavour.
57. PODINA LAMB OR CHICKEN£8.55
(MEDIUM) Tender pieces of chicken or lamb cooked with spices and herbs with garden mint in a rich yoghurt sauce.
58. SPECIAL SYLHETY£8.55
(MEDIUM) Marinated chicken with potatoes, spinach and chickpeas, cooked in a thick sauce.
59. MINT SPECIAL KARAHI£9.85
(MEDIUM) Chicken or lamb, cooked with onion green pepper, tomato and fresh garden mint (with our own spice compliment).
60. SPECIAL SABJI CHICKEN£8.55
(MEDIUM) Chicken tikka, cubed onions and peppers with mixed vegetables and spinach
(MEDIUM) Chicken or lamb cubes cooked with mango chutney, garden mint, lemon juice, with a blend of selected spices.
62. SPECIAL MURGI MASSALA£8.85
(MEDIUM) A traditional dish with fried minced lamb and tandoori chicken pieces, cooked in a thick spicy curry sauce.
63. CHICKEN LENTILS£8.55
(MEDIUM) A Gujarati dish cooked with channa daal and fresh lemon juice.
64. CHICKEN OR LAMB CHANA£8.55
(MEDIUM) Chopped onions and peppers cooked with chickpeas in chef’s special sauce
65. SPECIAL TANDOORI CHICKEN CURRY£9.85
(MEDIUM) Made to the chef’s own recipe, this dish is cooked using tandoori chicken pieces.
66. CHICKEN OR LAMB TIKKA SAAG£8.55
(MEDIUM HOT) A most popular dish in the Indian sub –continent consisting of tender pieces of chicken or grilled lamb with a combination of freshly chopped spinach, onion, capsicum and tomatoes.
67. SPECIAL TANDOORI MIXED GRILL CURRY£11.25
(MEDIUM HOT) Cooked with chef’s special thick sauce, chicken tikka, Chicken tandoori on the bone, lamb tikka cutlets and seekh kebab.
68. CHEF’S SPECIAL£9.15
(MEDIUM HOT) Cooked with minced meat, diced chicken and lamb, with chef’s special spices
69. DHAKA SPECIAL£10.85
(MEDIUM HOT) This dish is made with diced chicken and minced lamb. Cooked to our chef’s secret recipe.
70. BANYAN TREE SPECIAL£9.95
(MEDIUM HOT) This dish is a combination of chicken and lamb tikka, tandoori chicken strips, prawns and mushrooms in a thick curry sauce with fresh garlic, onion and green pepper.
71. ROYAL MUGHLAI CHICKEN£9.85
(MEDIUM HOT) Specially prepared herbs and spices. Made by our chef for the Banyan Tree.
72. TANDOORI LAMB CUTLET BHUNA£11.10
(MEDIUM HOT) Lamb cutlet marinated overnight and then cooked in the clay oven in a special sauce.
73. SHAHI SHASHLIC BHUNA CHICKEN OR LAMB£9.10
(MEDIUM HOT) Tender pieces of chicken or lamb marinated overnight together with mustard seeds, onion, pepper and tomatoes, grilled on skewers in the tandoori and then gently cooked in a thick sauce.
74. SPECIAL KING PRAWN SIZZLER BHUNA£11.25
(MEDIUM HOT) Juicy king prawns (in the shell) cooked with onions and peppers in a spicy thick sauce specially prepared by our chef
75. CHICKEN OR LAMB KARAHI£8.55
(MEDIUM HOT) Cooked with cubed onions and capsicum, fresh ginger and a special Karahi spice mix to produce a rich full flavour.
76. CHICKEN OR LAMB NAGA£8.55
(HOT) Very hot dish cooked with Naga chillies.
77. CHICKEN OR LAMB CHILLI MASSALA£8.55
(HOT) Diced chicken or lamb cooked in a thick spicy sauce with minced lamb fresh tomatoes, onions, green chilli and herbs.
78. CHICKEN OR LAMB JALFREZ£8.85
(HOT) Tandoori chicken or lamb tikka, cooked in a thick sauce with fresh garlic and ginger, chopped green chillies, onions and peppers.
79. SHIM BICHI SPECIAL£8.55
(HOT) Chicken or lamb cooked with uri bichi (Bengal broad beans), whole chillies, aromatic herbs and spices, finely chopped onions and coriander, an authentic and favourite of Bengal.
Stir fried with basmati rice and spices, garnished with tomato and cucumber and served with a vegetable curry sauce to the strength of your choice.
81. CHICKEN TIKKA£9.50
83. LAMB TIKKA£9.65
85. KING PRAWN£11.25
86. BANYAN SPECIAL BIRYANI£10.95
87. SPECIAL GARLIC BIRYANI£9.25
Chicken or lamb
88. SPECIAL VEGETARIAN BIRYANI£8.00
89. TARKA DAAL (with lentils)Main Dish: £6.95. Side Dish: 2.90
Tiny pink lentils with turmeric and clarified Indian butter, garnished with fried garlic.
90. GARLIC SAAGMain Dish: £7.05. Side Dish: £2.95
Spinach steamed together with garlic and aniseed then stir-fried with sliced onion and peppers, garnished with coriander
91. SAAG ALOOMain Dish: £6.95. Side Dish: £2.90
Stir-fried spinach served with steamed potato.
92. BHINDI BHAJIMain Dish: £6.95. Side Dish: £2.90
Green okra, cooked with onion and peppers.
93. MUSHROOM BHAJIMain Dish: £6.95. Side Dish: £2.90
Mushrooms cooked Goan style, with onions, peppers in a thick sauce.
94. SAAG BAHJI SpinachMain Dish: £6.95. Side Dish: £2.90
95. SAAG CHAANAMain Dish: £7.05. Side Dish: £2.95
Stir fried spinach with small chick peas
96. CHAANA MASSALAMain Dish: £6.95. Side Dish £2.90
Small chickpeas cooked with lemon juice and tamarind sauce.
97. ALOO GOBIMain Dish: £6.95. Side Dish: £2.90
Steamed potatoes and cauliflower, stir-fried with aromatic spices.
98. VEGETABLE BHAJIMain Dish: £6.95. Side Dish: £2.90
Mixed vegetables cooked in Goan style in a thick sauce.
99. CAULIFLOWER BHAJIMain Dish: £6.95. Side Dish £2.90
Cauliflower cooked Goan style in a thick sauce.
100. SAAG PANEERMain Dish: £6.95. Side Dish: £2.90
Spinach with cheese.
101. BOMBAY ALOOMain Dish: £6.95. Side Dish: £2.90
Steamed potatoes cooked aromatic style with fresh herbs & garlic.
102. BRINJAL BHAJIMain Dish: £7.05. Side Dish: £2.95
Aubergine cooked with onions and peppers.
103. BOILED RICE£2.10
104. PILAU RICE£2.50
105. VEGETABLE RICE£2.80
106. MUSHROOM RICE£2.80
107. EGG RICE£2.80
108. LEMON RICE£2.80
109. GARLIC RICE£2.95
110 PEAS RICE£2.95
111. FRIED RICE (with onions)£2.95
112. COCONUT RICE (sweet)£3.15
113. KEEMA RICE (with minced lamb)£3.15
114. SPECIAL RICE (with vegetables & prawns)£3.15
116. PESHWARI NAN (Sweet with coconut and almond paste)£2.50
117. KEEMA NAN (with minced lamb)£2.50
118. STUFFED NAN (with vegetables)£2.50
119. GARLIC NAN (with garlic)£2.50
120. KULCHA NAN (with cheese & onion)£2.50
121. CHEESE NAN£2.50
122. TANDOORI ROTI (made with chapatti flour, cooked in clay oven)£1.60
123. PARATHA (round deep fried Indian bread)£2.50
124. KEEMA PARATHA (with minced lamb)£2.70
125. EGG PARATHA£2.60
126. VEGETABLE PARATHA£2.55
127. CHAPATTI (Dry thin unleavened bread)85p
128. PUREE (Deep fried thin Indian Bread)£1.00
130. CHEESY CHIPS£3.50
131. GREEN SALAD£1.70
132. ANY CANS OF SOFT DRINK£1.00
BANQUET FOR TWO: ONLY £24.75
Mixed Kebab X 2
onion bhaji, chicken tikka, lamb tikka.
Tandoori Butter Chicken
Lamb Tikka Bhuna
Pilau Rice x 2
BANQUET FOR FOUR: ONLY £50.90
Mixed Kebab X 4
onion bhaji, chicken tikka, lamb tikka.
Chicken Tikka Massala
Royal Mughlai Chicken
Lamb Tikka Rogan
Pilau Rice X 4
Nan Bread X 2
SPECIAL THALI: ONLY 19.95
Try out 4 Dishes of your choice with pilau rice and nan bread.
Please add £2 for king prawn and lamb chop dishes.
Scampi, Nuggets, Fish Fingers£6.95
Served with chips and salad
Fried Chickens, Omolette£5.95
(plain, chicken, Prawn or mushrooms) Served with chips and salad
Other dishes are available for children, please ask a member of staff
Ring 01347 479 996 or call in at the Banyan Tree if you have any questions about the Menu